How the program works:
Age 6 and up only. No reservation necessary for drop-in. Pay for the actual time your child is with us, with a one hour minimum. Siblings discount available. No refunds.
Snack and lunch time:
After school, we take a short break for snack some time between 3:30 and 4pm. During vacation days, we serve a small snack in the morning, then we all take a lunch break from 12:30 to 1 (kids bring their own lunch), and we serve another small snack in the afternoon. Snacks generally consist of apples, carrots, crackers with cheese/hummus, cookies, jelly beans and tea. Gluten free available.
Yes, we do birthday parties. See here for details.
Take advantage of our Frequent Poekie Making Card:
Every time your child spends more than 2 hours at Poekie Nook, you receive a stamp. After 10 stamps, you receive one hour free. Cards are good for 3 months and can be shared with siblings.
Expiration Policy of purchased blocks of hours:
Hours purchased from the Poekie Nook will expire August 21, 2019.
Hours are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Other important facts:
• Unfinished projects are recycled after one month.
• Kids should wear proper shoes, as we tend to lose needles only to find them much later.
• All cellphones must be parked in our phone-park. No cellphones are allowed on tables. Use of phones is only allowed for important communications with parents, and must be conducted away from work-areas.
• Children may not check out or leave the premises without adult accompaniment, unless a written permission is on file.
• Bringing a friend along? A signed registration form (available for download here) is needed from her/his parents.
• Parents are welcome to join at no extra charge.
How to get the most benefit from your child’s visit:
• Children freely choose their projects and Poekies, based on age and experience. The older the child, the faster they will move up through the several levels of sewing.
• Most Poekies take at least one to two hours to make, and some may take up to eight or more hours. A visit of less than an hour and a half won’t bring the progress and satisfaction children are looking for.
• Sporadic visits do not help to improve children’s sewing skills. Children who come consistently once a week during the school-year, or daily during vacations, happily work their way up to the more advanced Poekies.
• Years of experience have taught us that all creative projects need time for breathing in and breathing out, therefore you may see children working on other projects or just hanging out for a bit.
Check this page if you’d like to read more about the benefits of sewing and crafting: The Benefits of Sewing Poekies
The Poekies and Poekie Nook expect proper behavior and conduct from all children and adults when visiting our home. We ask that you treat everyone and everything with respect while you are here and help us keep it clean and beautiful.